Avoiding Indirect Employee Discrimination
• Listen, without making any decision.
• Gather the facts. What is the objection? Why? And what is being proposed?
• Think creatively and constructively.
• Is the request workable? How does it affect the business and other staff?
• Is there a legitimate business case to refuse the request?
• Meet to discuss the issues, and allow the employee to be accompanied by a colleague or a trade union official. Present your business case and provide an option to appeal your decision.
• Always seek advice from an HR or employment law advisor about the legitimacy of the business case for refusal.